Wednesday, May 17, 2006

[UK] Battling pensioners vow to fight poverty

from Blackpool Today

BATTLING pensioners marched through Blackpool with a defiant message for the Government: Don't make us live in poverty.

Thousands of protesters waved placards and banners as they marched in unison along Victoria Street ahead of a national Pensioners' Parliament.

Crowds of in excess of 2,000 campaigners formed a human cavalcade from North Pier to the conference venue, The Winter Gardens.

They were fighting for:
* Abolition of council tax
* Free travel on public transport
* State pension of £114 a week

The bills were drawn up in draft form in January this year and sent to groups of the National Pensioners Convention (NPC), which organised the rally, ahead of a drive to have them promoted through Westminster.

The NPC said one in five older people lives below the poverty line and 10 per cent are malnourished.

Tony Constable, 74, from the Colchester Pensioners Action Group, said: "Council tax is my important issue.

"I have been writing to Europe about this since January last year but I am still waiting for a response. I get acknowledgments but never any promises. I think the council tax issue should be a priority to sort out."

Mr Constable's wife, Betty, also 74, said: "Elderly people should not be living in poverty in this day and age, but right now that is what is happening. Something urgently needs to be done to give pensioners more money."

Don Evans, 68, the West Lancashire town crier said: "I am here in two roles – in a non-political role as the town crier of West Lancashire, to add my voice to the march, and as a pensioner myself. I will change from my town crier's outfit and join the conference from purely a personal view."

Among the marchers were members of the Nuneaton branch of the Transport and General Workers Union Retired Members Association.

Bill Spooner, 83, said: "I want to see free public transport for all pensioners rolled out across the country so people can travel any distance. It has been done in Wales, Scotland and Ireland, so why not here?

"I think it should include not just buses but also the railway network."
Albert Deacon, 73, also from Nuneaton, added: "It's not much to ask. I think free travel all over the country should be easily attainable."

The event will continue until Thursday.

No comments: