Thursday, December 29, 2005

[Bob Geldof] defends new role in Tory poverty policy

From The New Zealand Hearld

By Colin Brown

Sir Bob Geldof has defended his acceptance of a spot on the Tory Party's global poverty policy board, and says leader David Cameron is "playing with fire" by recruiting him.

Sir Bob, who clashed with Margaret Thatcher two decades ago, admitted he may be used by Cameron to reach the "wristband generation" for the Tories. "I know that," he said. "I'm not thick, I am in nobody's pocket. If it's nonsense I will say."

The recruitment gave the Tory leader a publicity coup for a more caring style of Conservatism, and put the Government on the defensive.

Some anti-poverty campaigners protested at Sir Bob accepting the Tory appointment, but he was unrepentant. Geldof said he was "sure I am being used, as much as I'm being used by the Government. But that's my job, to be used, so long as I can help steer the policy towards those who are dying. It doesn't bother me that people say I am being used.

"I don't care who I have to talk to, to get to where we need to be to stop people dying simply because they are too poor to stay alive.

"I spoke to Cameron and he said they are serious about this issue. I said I cannot be a full member of this thing but if you want any advice I will do it. "If the Tories can push the Government further than they might like to go, that is grist to my mill. I've said I'll shake hands with the devil to get to where we need to be."

No comments: