Saturday, February 02, 2008

Poverty can be just a few paycheques away

from The Barrie Examiner

Barrie woman’s financial struggles are not unique
Posted By Nicki Cruickshank
Posted -16 sec ago

A few years ago, Bev Colpitts had a house, a car, and was living comfortably.

But that all changed after her marriage collapsed and her health took a turn for the worse.

Now, five years later, she has been left without a drug plan and can’t scrape enough money together to fill a $58 prescription.

“I have viral pneumonia, and I can’t afford the antibiotics or inhaler I need to get rid of it,” said Colpitts, a retired nurse who worked at Royal Victoria Hospital for 33 years. “I’m on a Canada Disability Pension, and I only get $900 a month to live on.”

Factor in $400 for rent at her east-end rooming house and the $350 for medication she needs to live, that leaves little for food or other amenities, let alone another prescription.

“I have to make that last $100 stretch, and I’ve lived like this for the past five years,” Colpitts said. “And I can’t take away from my medication funds because, without them, I have no quality of life.”

She isn’t the only one in this situation. Colpitts’ life is one Louise Stinson sees many local residents struggling with every day.

“Her situation is not unique here in Barrie,” said Stinson, executive director of the David Busby Street Centre. “It (poverty) is on the rise here. Most people in Simcoe County are two paycheques away from losing their homes.”

Stinson said, on a busy day, the centre, located in the basement of Trinity Anglican Church, can see upwards of 200 homeless or impoverished residents come through the door.

“And we get tons of calls from people in need of our services,” Stinson said. “We have counsellors whom people can come and talk to, or we have them go to people who can’t get here.

“We also have a nurse practitioner on staff that might be able to see people and see about getting them help with some medications,” she added.

It all depends on the severity of cases and on how much help can be found for these residents.

“We need to see increases in Canada Pension Plans and Ontario Works,” Stinson said. “Because this scenario can happen to anyone.”

Barrie MPP Aileen Carroll insists increases have been made.

“Ontario Works and Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) payments were increased last November,” Carroll said. “And our government has raised the general minimum wage every year for the past four years.”

Regardless, Colpitts says she will never receive as much money as she did while working as a nurse.

“I had a good life and loved my job. I was making $39 an hour,” Colpitts said. “But we tend to fall between the cracks, and I’m resentful because I gave everything to my job and suddenly, when I need help, no one’s around to help me. It can really break your spirit, and I’d love to find some sort of drug plan.”

But there are community and social service programs around that can help.

“We can help them with access to food if they need it,” said Paula King, of the Elizabeth Fry Society in Barrie. “We can also connect with other services, like the Salvation Army.

“It really irks me that a pension plan wouldn’t give someone like her (Colpitts) a drug plan, too,” King added.

But there is a way to get one, according to the Simcoe County branch of Ontario Works.

“If someone is receiving disability, they can apply to the Ontario Disability Support Program and make a self-referral and be fast-tracked,” said Jamie Moran, manager of the social services department for Simcoe County Ontario Works. “If they’re eligible, they could be provided with a drug card to cover their medications.”

Moran said the Trillium Drug Plan is another option for those who don’t quality for ODSP.

It’s funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, and is for low-income residents under 65 years old.

“It’s much better than having no drug coverage at all,” he said, adding that Trillium applications are available at the ODSP office (34 Simcoe St.).

Carroll said addressing local poverty is one of her priorities.

“The 2007 budget announced a number of initiatives for those who most need our help, including low-income families and seniors,” she said. “The premier has made the reduction of poverty a major priority for this mandate, and the creation of a cabinet committee solely designated to this goal indicates the seriousness of our intent.”

Colpitts hopes sharing her story will be an eye-opener to the public, and will encourage them

to help Barrie’s less fortunate on a more regular basis.

“There are such good news stories that come out of big storms or fires, when people say, ‘What can we do to help?’” she said. “But what about the people living without everyday?”

Contact the writer at ncruickshank@thebarrieexaminer.com

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This kind of story happens far too often.

Unknown said...

WHO IS REALLY COMMITTING THE FRAUD AROUND HERE

The general public has no idea what the system is really like. They think fraud is ramped in Ontario Works and ODSP. Here is something to think about and it is just the tip of the iceberg according to our research.
The provincial government says welfare fraud is around 2%.
Who is really committing the fraud around here?
The federal government says income tax fraud is 13%

Ontario Works staff charged in $1.3million Fraud
By Sarah Elizabeth Brown Tuesday March 4,2008
Chronicle Journal http://tbay.ok.bc.ca/stories.php?id=95704

Government ODSP worker charged in $585,000 fraud case.
By SooToday.com Staff Wednesday, November 14, 2007
SooToday
http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=28485
http://odsp.blogspot.com/2007/11/former-government-worker-charged-in.html

93.7 million dollars in corporate welfare
Linda Leatherdale March 7,2008
http://money.canoe.ca/Columnists/Leatherdale/2008/03/07/4938021-sun.html
http://theoldcraftsman.com/blog/?p=387#comment-174
Premier Dalton McGuity is handing over a 9.7 million dollar corporate welfare cheque to Kellogg. Kellogg’s profit was $1 billion. Also Ford got a $55 million cheque and is now cutting shifts, while GM got $29million and is also cutting shifts.

$150 million called corporate welfare for a profitable industry.
Rob Ferguson January 10, 2008
Queens Park Bureau http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/292631
The Ontario Government has earmarked $150 million to encourage pharmaceutical companies to do more drug research and manufacturing in the province.
******************
An internal audit in Hamilton, Ontario showed that Ontario Works staff were taking the city’s credit card out and enjoying a nice lunch privately.

The same audit showed that the Ontario Works workers had uninterrupted access to the main computer that issues their clients checks.

Isn’t that a recipe for disaster?

Ron Payne
Welfare Legal
Hamilton, Ontario
E-mail welfarelegal2004@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I am from the Windsor area and have been on and off welfare for 20yrs. more on than off.
Many attempts were made on my part to be a self supporting single mom of 3 boys. All to no avail, each time my attempts were foiled by guess who, persons working in some form of government agencies. I won't get into that, too long.
The reason I'm writing this is because of all the crap that we as common folk have to deal with from the so called higher ups.
Many people on welfare don't have a high self esteem and to be treated rudely and with disdain by many welfare workers depletes a persons self worth even more.
I have heard many cases of the inhumane treatment that welfare staff have inflicted on their clients. No one wants to say or do anything about it because these workers will find reasons to make these clients lives a living hell.
Trust me I know from my own experiences.
I am like a dog with a bone when I see wrong being done to others or myself, many have called me the underdog because I try to help everyone who is being wronged.
My experiences with welfare.
1.]I receive no check again, I make several phone calls and finally 3 days later I am told that they did not receive my income statement { a common excuse] Come and fill out another one and I will give you your check. I rush down there, 45 min. bus ride later and wait... finally my worker comes out and hands me my check and says Oh by the way I found your income statement. SURE.....
2.}No check again.A few days later on a Friday I'm told they found my check and to come and pick it up.
I say thank you and say please make sure that someone does not mail it before I get there, it's Friday, don't worry I'm told. I arrive just short of an hour later and guess what, they mailed the check!!!!
3.} At one time I had to deal with my regular worker and credit counselor worker who worked down the hall from one another. The CCW called Children's Aid on me because she thought my hydro might get shut off. It was not going to at all but all the CCW had to do was walk down the hall and talk to my regular worker or call me but she didn't and C.A.S. paid me a visit, they found nothing wrong at all and left.
4.} The same CCW called C.A.S again a month or so later because again she thought my gas was going to get shut off and I had a 10 yr. old child in the home. C.A.S. again came and left because nothing was wrong.
5.} I had asked for a $40.00 food voucher which by the way they deduct automatically from your next check and guess what C.A.S. came a 3rd time. Three strikes and you're out, I could not get them out of my life for over a year, they could not find anything wrong and did not take my son but they were an annoyance, thanks a lot CCW
I could go on and on but I just wanted to tell people that you have to fight for what you and your children need, it might be degrading and humiliating but it's a matter of survival. One alone can do little but many can do wonders.
I have written up a petition pertaining to a 20-25% increase to O.W., O.D.S.P.,and an immediate $10.00 min.wage hike. Also the matter of rental costs, If anyone is interested please let me know.

Anonymous said...

Tape record or videotape, make a record, have a witness to every conversation with ODSP employees.
My sister recently asked the ODSP a question in writing about allowable gifts. They called me, and told me they would not be responding to my sister, as 'I have the right to confidentiality.'
According to the guidleines, I can receive a gift of up to $6,000 without penalty. Why not put it in writing? Why phone me? Answer: there is no record of this conversation, and as a client of ODSP, I simply cannot be trusted. Anything I say is suspicious, and doubly so once you have been labeled 'paranoid and delusional, an unexploded bomb waiting for a chance to happen.' That was twelve years ago. In spite of all provocation, I have not exploded, but have no problem at all dealing with all kinds of life's problems, big and small. Virtually everyone has trouble with the ODSP. I shudder to think of how people who know nothing of this system are treated. My brother, who suffers from degenerative disc disease, has been refused ODSP numerous times, over the past four years since applying.