Sunday, November 11, 2007

Veterans Becoming Homeless

from WRBL

By Susanna Avery Reporter

John Pilate fought in the Gulf War nearly 20 years ago. “We got caught up in enemy fire and we had to do what we had to do,” said Pilate.

Little did he know at the young age of 17, his toughest battle wasn't in the Middle East.

It came just a few years after he left the Army. “I lost my whole family in a car accident. I had no reason to go home. Lord, why'd you take my mom. My whole family,” Pilate said, holding back the tears.

John turned to drugs to dull the pain, only creating more. He found himself living on the streets.

The Homeless Research Institute estimates there are more than 4100 veterans who are now homeless in Georgia and Alabama alone. About 20 percent of the homeless that Open Door Community House helps are veterans, according to the director, Kim Jenkins.

“You have to deal with a lot of issues coming back,” said James Lawrence. He got back from Iraq in 2005. He's not homeless, but he understands how post traumatic stress can lead you there. “You come back from combat, you have to deal with it. It's hard. I'm still dealing with it. It's rough. I put everything in God's hands and let him handle it,” said Lawrence.

That's what John says he did. Now, years after the toughest fight of his life, John has seen victory. “I've to my own place. Doing well. I've got my fiancé, ‘bout to get married soon. I'm doing well,” said John, with a smile.

The Homeless Research Institute also estimates that up to 467,000 veterans were at risk of homelessness. At risk is defined as being below the poverty level and paying more than 50 percent of household income on rent.

No comments: