Monday, October 30, 2006

[UK] How a thief saw the light and helps poverty-stricken orphans

from IC Surrey

AN EX-CONVICT from Crawley has brought hope to poverty-stricken orphans in Africa after swapping crime for charity.

Gerry George,66, of Pound Hill, overcame a past life of offending and hardship to establish a Christian charity in Kiyindi, Uganda.

Mr George said: "I was once a gambler and a thief on a suicide course.

"But now I'm building an orphanage for 100 African children with my wife.I can't believe what we have already achieved."

Retired Mr George and his wife Rose,who sells kitchens,established their charity,Advance International Ministries,after first visiting Uganda in 1997.

Mr George said: "Kiyindi is a fishing village on the edge of beautiful Lake Victoria. It's a very deprived area."

"But our charity has built a school, a skills trading centre,and a medical unit with a maternity ward. More than 40 babies have been born there safely.We also have 10 orphans already living in the orphanage.

"The orphans' parents have commonly died from Aids.This is the scourge of Uganda.

"We found our first orphan, Derek, feeding himself from a rubbish dump at the age of six. He's sponsored now and doing well."

Mr George has reached out to Uganda's deprived children after enduring a childhood of deprivation.

He said: "I was one child of nine siblings born in the impoverished East End of London. I never received much love.Before long I was a rebel with an aggressive nature.I spent some time in borstal.

"I ended up a gambler and a thief.But I wasn't much good at breaking and entering. Before long I got caught and spent a year in jail.

"At the age of 44 I was back in a bookies when I stole money from the counter and ran. It didn't take the police half-an-hour to find me.

"I was told this time to expect a two-year stretch. I fell to my knees and asked God to save me.

"I received a chance visit from door-knocking Christians before I was sentenced. They said they would pray for me.I felt love for the first time.In the end I only received 30 hours' community service.Jesus had entered my life and he will always be with me."

Those who want to support Advance International Ministries should call 01293 424320 or visit www.advanceinternational.org.

No comments: