Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Typhoon death toll in the Philippines reaches 283

The death toll continues to rise in the Philippines after the biggest typhoon to hit the island nation in a year. Officials say 283 people are dead from Typhoon Bopha. The rains were strong enough to cause mudslides traveling down the country’s mountains. In some areas, the rain and mudslides caused water reservoirs to collapse, further adding to the strength of the water.

Last year, Typhoon Washi killed 1,500 people in the Philippines. 

From Reuters Alert Net, reporter Eric de Castro gives us the latest update.

Hardest hit was the southern island of Mindanao, where Bopha made landfall on Tuesday. It triggered landslides and floods along the coast and in farming and mining towns inland.
Interior Minister Manuel Roxas said 300 people were missing.
"Entire families were washed away," Roxas, who inspected the disaster zone, told reporters.
Most affected areas were cut off by destroyed roads and collapsed bridges and army search-and-rescue teams were being flown in by helicopter.
Power was cut and communications were down.
According to tallies provided by the military and disaster agency officials, 283 people were killed.
Thousands of people were in shelters and officials appealed for food, water and clothing. Dozens of domestic flights were suspended on Wednesday.
The governor of the worst-hit province, Compostela Valley, in Mindanao said waves of water and mud came crashing down mountains and swept through schools, town halls and clinics where huddled residents had sought shelter.
The death toll in the province stood at 160. In nearby Davao Oriental province, where Bopha made landfall, 110 people were killed.

No comments: