Thursday, October 04, 2012

Inflation in South Sudan makes life harder for female farmers

Inflation has been rising rapidly in South Sudan throughout the year. The cause of the inflation is blamed on an oil production shutdown. South Sudan stopped producing oil because of their ongoing conflict with "North" Sudan. This inflation has crippled the ability of South Sudan's poor to earn a decent wage. Pile this on top of floods and drought for the poor farmer.

From this Sudan Tribune article that we found at All Africa, writer Bonifacio Toban Kuich profiles some women trying to earn a wage at a farmers market.   
Rebecca Nyamuoka Kuay a 25-year-old vegetable seller in Kalibalek market says that her small business is helping her family survive, despite high levels of inflation.
Kuay says she and her fellow women often have to sit in the sun, waiting for customers to buy their vegetables.
"Before the prices increase, women use to get 50 SSP per day in the process of selling vegetables. But due to recent inflation women find it hard for 50 SSP to buy 5Kg of sorghum in the market as the market price increase every day", said Kuay.
Kuay called on the government to control the high increases in food prices in the market by limiting taxes on traders so that citizens can afford to eat.
Nyakuoth Kuol walked 20 miles each day to Bentiu town to sell milk in Kalibalek market in order to afford health care for her sick 5-year-old daughter who is in hospital. However, she told Sudan Tribune that thieves stole 200 SSP (approx. $65) while she was selling her milk.
Kuol says she is giving up selling milk in the town after she lost her money.
"I came here yesterday upon my arrive, some guys came and steal my money, I got discourage with the business, my present here was to rise up money, this is really making me very shame as I thought my coming was to solve my problem with my children", Kuol added.

No comments: