Thursday, July 31, 2008

Book Review: a story of inner city work

from the Daily Chronicle

A new book chronicles an inner city mission in Dallas. The author says the time there taught her how wrong judgments or prejudices can be. - Kale

By BENJI FELDHEIM

Dorothy Moore was afraid, but it didn't stop her. The Sycamore native, now 73, has spent the better part of the last 25 years ministering troubled youth and adults in the slums of Dallas. After living affluently for most of her life, Moore set out to intervene in the lives of people plagued by poverty, drug use and violence.

While the tribulations she's faced were difficult at times, Moore said her faith kept her going.

Moore's efforts with the Crusaders and Reconciliation Outreach ministry often found her in danger. She's dodged bullets and fights, and also talked straight to drug dealers in her efforts to bring people religious guidance.

Earlier this year, Moore published the book “Lady in the Hood.” The book is a chronological telling of her experiences in Dallas as she and other determined workers tried to set up outreach programs in the poverty-ridden areas of the city.

The story is a poignant description of Moore's carefree upbringing juxtaposed with a great deal of tragic circumstances she found herself a part of after her religious faith manifested in a desire to help others.

Moore spoke with the Daily Chronicle about what led her to write the book, how she dealt with the dangerous efforts and how she had to be honest about herself.

D.C.: Why did you decide to write the book?

Moore: I have kept a prayer diary for almost the last 40 years and I've entered into it almost daily. When I began to see some of this had long-term value, I started compiling the information - pulling out things that were most significant and putting it in some kind of book form.

The biographical part wasn't difficult. But the rest, I felt there was a lot of need in the church community for people looking at faith to understand what did it cost you, and did what did it bring you to do. That's what I learned working with the poor in the inner city.

People are generally looking for answers and hope.

D.C.: Were you in danger at times during this work?

Moore: I took children home one night and dropped them off in their neighborhood. I realized a gang war was going on. The first thing I thought to do was intervene. I got out in front of the car, yelled at the kids to come with me, and pulled them away because shots were fired and a boy was down. You could hear the sirens.

When I went home that night, I began to realize the relative security of my own life. I do this during the day but they live it all the time. It gave me a boldness to get out there. If they have to live it every day, and they're just kids, why can't I step out there and let the Lord do what I can't fix?

I honestly believe God is in charge of life and we will live and die according to his direction. He's not going to allow me to be taken out if I'm not ready.

I've been afraid not just for myself but for others. There are those risks. But there's the sense of destiny. You're there because you're supposed to be there and when you die it's when you're supposed to.

D.C.: Was it difficult to be honest

about your upbringing and your personality?

Moore: The truth is the truth. When you begin to understand who you are and how you think, it's only fair to be honest about it. I can't help anyone else without being honest about who I am. Then I'm just a do-gooder without any understanding of the real pain and problems. I had to go through a lot of testing to have anything to say to anyone else.

Link to full article. May expire in future.

No comments: