Monday, August 13, 2007

Christians Against Poverty to Release More People from Prison of Debt

from Christian Today

Christians Against Poverty (CAP) has launched a new phone-based debt counselling service CAP Direct in response to the recent report from the Conservative Party which warned that “personal debt is the most serious social problem facing the UK today”.

CAP Direct has been set up “to release people from the burden of debt and empower them to find financial freedom once more”, said CAP, and aims to complement the charity’s network of face-to-face debt counselling centres based in local churches across the UK.

“In just its first few weeks CAP Direct has had a dramatic impact on clients’ lives – seeing homes saved from repossession, hope restored, and most importantly, clients coming to know Christ as their personal Saviour,” said CAP.

Kim is one such person. She found herself overwhelmed by debt after her husband died six years ago, and she was subsequently abused and taken advantage of by her next partner. She was unable to pay back her debt and faced the reality of losing her home.

“I was working seven days a week but it didn’t matter how hard I worked, it didn’t make any difference to my debt situation. I was going home physically drained but also emotionally exhausted. I wanted to fulfil my commitments and pay back my creditors – but the situation was just getting worse,” she says.

One of the problems of debt is that it isolates, says CAP. Kim felt like she was the only person suffering in this way and when compounded with the grief of losing her husband, those feelings of loneliness simply intensified.

“Grief affects everyone differently – I would get sudden pangs of real pain and loss. I just felt so alone,” recalls Kim.

Even though Kim does not live near an existing CAP centre, she was not left to sort out her finances alone. When Kim called CAP Direct she spoke to CAP Direct caseworker Lucy.

“It was so easy to pick up the phone and explain my situation,” says Kim. “When I spoke to Lucy she gave me hope. She made me realise that I wasn’t a silly or stupid person, not like the creditors who phoned me made me feel. She helped me understand that I wasn’t alone. She didn’t judge me or frown on me – all I heard was, ‘don’t be worried, it’s all going to be ok’.”

Lucy was able to go through Kim’s finances, establish affordable repayments to her creditors and set up a CAP Account (a simple bank account into which Kim pays every month and from which all bills and debts are paid), to simplify a budget.

While well-established and reputable debt counselling agencies enjoy the confidence of mortgage companies and debt collectors, individuals in debt often find it harder to receive the same time of day.

Kim acknowledges, “The mortgage company wouldn’t work with me, but they worked with Lucy.” By negotiating with the mortgage company, Lucy was able to save Kim’s home from repossession.

CAP Direct, however, is more than just a debt counselling service. It also makes an effort to provide the emotional and spiritual support that people in debt often need.

Before contacting CAP Direct, Kim did not want anything to do with God. However, Lucy was able to explain about God’s love for her. Kim has since decided to become a Christian – being led to Christ over the phone by Lucy.

Lucy describes how she worked with Kim to show her Christ’s love: “When Kim first called CAP Direct she made it clear that she was not a Christian and just wanted help. However, God really softened her heart to Him. It was amazing to pray for her over the phone and we had many conversations about how Jesus loves her.

“When Kim told me that she wanted to become a Christian, I was so excited and moved. She said the prayer of salvation, adding her own prayers at the same time. How amazing that God can use the telephone as a means of directing people to Him!”

No comments: