Monday, August 15, 2005

[India] Youth icons envisage 'poverty-less, strife-free' India

From the Indo-Asian News Service

New Delhi, Aug 14 (IANS) Less violence, better governance, less poverty - with a dash of material success - is what India's youth icons like Abhishek Bachchan, Yuvraj Singh, Kareena Kapoor and Arindam Chaudhuri are dreaming of this Independence Day.

These young achievers, mostly in their 20s, see India eradicating poverty and emerging among the top economies of the world in a few years, but feel an end to sectarian conflicts is necessary for the nation to truly achieve greatness.

"I dream of a pollution-free, hassle-free, stress-free and strife-free India... I know it's just a dream, and probably hard to achieve, though not impossible," actor Abhishek Bachchan, 27, told IANS.

As the country celebrates the 57th anniversary of independence from British colonial rule Monday, the complete breakdown of life in financial capital Mumbai in the July floods weighs heavy on the minds of the young.

"Mumbai and Maharashtra have gone through tumultuous times lately. Nature's warning must be taken seriously. Stop messing around with the environment," says Abhishek.

Cricketer Yuvraj Singh, 23, echoes his words: "I would say India is a much developed country now. There are lots of business opportunities in India. One thing I would like to see improved is the drainage system -- it's not up to the mark as you can see people dying due to floods and heavy rainfall.

"People should try to go to villages and slums and try to improve things there. Even in cities, you can see poverty. NGOs should make efforts to improve those people's lives.

"The best thing about India is that it is an independent democracy. We should have peace, which is most important. If people can live in harmony, that's the best thing."

With over 50 percent of India's billion plus population under 25 years old, the voices of these young newsmakers matter.

A 'Young Asians Survey' by the market intelligence company Synovate - which surveyed eight Asian markets, including India - concluded that "today's young Indian is sensible, sassy and sets priorities at an early age".

And sassy they are.

Says Bollywood star Kareena: "First and foremost I want peace and happiness for my mom, sister and dad. And I want my little niece to be the prettiest Kapoor in India...

"I also want Mumbai and the rest of the country to be free of calamities like the one we in Mumbai faced the other day. Life is short. But it should be fun. I feel we, the young, should learn to shoulder our responsibilities more seriously. And I want to make sure I don't do anything on screen and in my private life to shame my country or family."

Today's youth are not ashamed to be materialistic either. Upcoming actor Sammir Dattani says: "This Independence Day, I want a Ferrari with my flag... Just kidding! But why is materialism treated as a dirty word in our country?

"I feel there's no harm in being materialistic, as long as you do not allow self-interest to cloud your better judgment and do not allow yourself to compromise either your country or your conscience. This Independence Day, I wish there should be no senseless violence in the country."

Management guru Arindam Chaudhuri was bullish about the country's prospects.

"Twenty-five years of sincere efforts and, by 2030, India could well be at par with China or even ahead. As a management person, I am very positive and hopeful."

No comments: